Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Basketball: No comeback plan from Sze Yuin

insidepix1

(NST) FORMER national women's basketball team captain Yoong Sze Yuin (pic) has confirmed that she is not making a comeback to play in December's Korat Sea Games.

Instead, Sze Yuin will continue as assistant to head coach Tan See Wah as the team prepare for the Games.

"I have been playing quite actively this year, including in the Agong Cup and National Basketball League which has just ended, and my old achilles tendon injury is hurting me again.

" It swells every time I play. So I think it is time to let go," said Sze Yuin at a meeting with the Sea Games squad at the National Sports Council, Bukit Jalil yesterday.

There was talk earlier this year that the 35-year-old would make a comeback to help the team defend their Sea Games gold.
But Sze Yuin, who has been with the team for 16 years, believes the current players are capable of doing well without her.

"They (the players) have matured enough and they should be able to deliver gold for the country," she added.

Meanwhile, See Wah said he is not unduly worried about hosts Thailand gearing up to snatch the gold medal from Malaysia.

"We treat our opponents with respect but we do not fear them," he said.

"I know the Thais have employed a Korean coach and have recalled some senior players, but I don't care what they do. What I care about is our own team."

For their final preparation, the national team will play in the SEABA Championship in Phuket, Thailand on Oct 14-20.

No comments: