KORAT, Dec 4 (Bernama) -- The National Sports Council (NSC) will review the status of the Sepak Takraw Association of Malaysia (PSM) following their action in withdrawing from the 24th SEA Games, said its disappointed director-general Datuk Zolkples Embong.
He said that the government had spent a lot of money for the development of the sport but the action by the PSM did not help the cause because young players who had been looking forward to the Games were deprived of the chance to do so.
"We are deeply saddened by this episode because the government and the NSC want to see sepak takraw progress. If they have no intention of participating, what's the use of having formed a national team. The morale of the players who trained hard to compete in the Games would certainly be affected," he told a press conference here today.
On Thursday, PSM decided to withdraw in protest over the use of new ball known as the Marathon New Generation, which is rubber-coated as opposed to the normally used one minus the coating.
As Malaysia was one of the founding nations of sepak takraw, Zolkples said, PSM should not have done what it did as their action could derail the progress of the sport.
"From next year, we will be implementing a rating system for all sports associations. We will take into consideration this affair when reviewing PSM's status," he said.
Meanwhile, Asian Sepak Takraw Federation president Abdul Halim Kader told a separate press conference that the episode left a black mark in the history of the sport as Malaysia was among the three founder members of sepak takraw in 1965.
"Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore fought to have it included in the Games. Although we are sad that Malaysia will not be competing, the event will go on (at the Korat Games)," said Abdul Halim, who is also International Sepak Takraw Federation secretary-general.