Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Elvinn upstages Nafzahizam

SECOND seed Elvinn Keo upset top-seeded Nafzahizam Adnan in a see-saw all-Malaysian final to win gold in the men's individual squash at the Ratchphruek Club in Bangkok yesterday.

The final took an hour and 24 minutes to complete as the two national back-up players refused to concede an inch in a match that Elvinn eventually won 10-8, 4-9, 9-4, 5-9, 9-4.

Nafzahizam's loss meant he failed to emulate his younger brother Nafiizwan's win two years ago in Manila but the final appearances of Sea Games debutants Elvinn and Nafzahizam guaranteed the men's individual gold remained in Malaysia's hands since Kenneth Low's 1995 triumph in Changmai.

"He played well, it was a tiring match and I had to give it my all to win. I'm very pleased to win the gold on my debut and having to fight hard for it made it even sweeter," said Elvinn.

The Malaysian duo had an easy ride to the final as they needed to win only twice against players of lesser calibre having received first round byes.
But Elvinn was not expecting to win gold as Nafzahizam is more experienced and ranked higher on the men's PSA Tour.

"This is my best achievement this year. I did not want the match to be one-sided so I raised my game and got the win," he said.

NST

No comments: