Friday, December 14, 2007

Diving: Golden cheer for Mun Yee and Ken Nee

Malaysian divers Yeoh Ken Nee (left) bagged the gold in the 3m springboard while Leong Mun Yee won the 1m springboard at the Aquatic Centre in Korat yesterday.
Malaysian divers Yeoh Ken Nee (left) bagged the gold in the 3m springboard while Leong Mun Yee won the 1m springboard at the Aquatic Centre in Korat yesterday.

THERE was double joy from the divers yesterday as Leong Mun Yee and Yeoh Ken Nee both delivered gold medals in their respective events.

It was sweet revenge for Mun Yee as she defeated nemesis Sheila Perez of the Philippines in the 1m springboard while Ken Nee emerged tops in the 3m springboard.

Mun Yee, who played second fiddle to Sheila in the 3m springboard the previous day, said she was disappointed with the judging on Wednesday.

"I told myself I would not let that affect my performance today (yesterday) and I would do my best. And that is what I did and it paid off. I have avenged my defeat to her yesterday (Wednesday) and in the last Sea Games in Manila," she said.

There was also good news for another Malaysian as Elizabeth Jimie grabbed the bronze.
She could have taken silver as she was second at one stage but Sheila's degree of difficulty earned her extra points in the subsequent dives.

Mun Yee amassed 278.30 points, Sheila 265.80 while Elizabeth got 263.10 points.

Meanwhile, Ken Nee won the 3m springboard gold for the third consecutive Games and fourth overall, having also won in 1999.

Rossharisham Roslan made it 1-2 for Malaysia. The bronze went to Filipino Domemios Zardo.

Ken Nee scored 444.05 points, Rossharisham 435.65 and Zardo 407.40.

He said the win proves that his training in China is bearing fruit.

"I hope to repeat this success in the synchronised diving tomorrow (today)," said Ken Nee.

NST

No comments: