Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Diana's gold a perfect gift for mum

National wushu exponent Diana Bong scored 28.12 points in the swordplay discipline to share the nanquan gold with Vietnam's Vu Thuy Linh yesterday.
National wushu exponent Diana Bong scored 28.12 points in the swordplay discipline to share the nanquan gold with Vietnam's Vu Thuy Linh yesterday.

DIANA Bong won the last wushu gold yesterday - the nanquan discipline - and dedicated it to her mother, Mary Liu.

But Diana, who amassed a total of 28.12 points for the swordplay discipline, had to share the gold with Vietnam's Vu Thuy Linh.

The discipline was held over three days and Diana scored 9.27 on the first day, 9.42 on the second and 9.43 yesterday.

As competition between the Vietnamese and Malaysian was so keen, the judges from China failed to pick an outright winner and awarded gold to both.

"Though I am disappointed to share this gold I am happy I had given my best, and I dedicate this win to my mother," said Diana.
The 22-year-old from Sarawak is currently waiting for a placement with Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) and has not seen her mum since Chinese New Year last February.

"Because of the training and my studies and also the travelling we have been doing, I have not had a chance to be with my mother.

"I hope to meet her when I get back and give her this gold medal."

Compatriot Tai Cheau Xuen took the bronze with a score of 25.24.

Malaysian exponents won a total of two gold (to meet their target), two silver and one bronze from the wushu competition which ended yesterday.

NST

No comments: